Recent Posts From Our Blog
Every country has its own facts and fictions about education. Also, there are always lots of interesting statistics, especially in the end of the year. And, of course, the USA is no exception. There are a lot of facts and information that you just don’t know. There are a lot of things that can really surprise you. So, you should be prepared to read some interesting and sometimes even shocking statistics. We would like you to know these facts to see a real face of American education.
- 30 years ago our country had something great to be proud for. The USA had a leading position in quantity and quality of high school diplomas. But, today, the situation is very different. Nowadays American education is ranked 36th in the world.
- There is a great number of students in the USA that don’t graduate on time yearly. The number is 1.3 million. Here you have the highest rates of 80-89% for states like Iowa, Vermont, New Jersey, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania. The lowest rates are less than 60% for New Mexico, S. Carolina, Nevada, Georgia, and Louisiana.
- It is interesting that 97% of low-income students choose school due to its Internet access. At the same time, 40 million in the country do not have high-speed Internet in school at all.
- There were 3 million dropouts in 2010. It is a fact that if they had graduated, USA would have earned $337 over the course of their lifetimes.
- If you compare some typical 3rd grade student who reads at the appropriate reading level with some other 3rd grade student who doesn’t, you understand that he is more likely to graduate at the age of 19. At the same time, some student that lives in poverty has fewer chances to graduate on time.
- The teachers’ quality plays a great role. It is one of the most important factors that relates to students’ success. So, it is no surprise that 14% of new teachers leave right after their first year in school. At the same time, 33% of teacher would leave during their three first years. And it is a half of teachers who leave after 5 years of teaching.
- So, due to the previous fact, it is no surprise that almost 85% in the list of current jobs and 90% fresh vacancies are for college teachers.
- It is a fact that a half of 4-year school students will get their bachelor’s degree during their 6 years education.
- There are a great number of out-of-field teachers for schools with 75% of low-income students. It is 3 times bigger than in wealthier schools.
- And the most interesting and shocking fact is that there are absolutely no skills and knowledge necessary to excel after high school graduation. These schools are just not preparing students for this.
- All the education assessment in the USA is based on the graduation rate. An interesting fact is that there was only 69% graduation rate for Black students in 2012. At the same time, Hispanic students had a 73% rate. And 86% rate was for Caucasian students. But the biggest 88% graduation rate had the Asian students. (Read also interesting post about: Most Unusual Schools in the World)